CrossCTF Finals 2018 : fitblips (crypto)
How many steps does your Fitblip beep?
nc ctf.pwn.sg 4003
Creator - amon (@nn_amon)
To summarize what this program does:
- It reads the flag from a file, hex encodes it, and turns it into a stream of bits
- Reads in user input, hex encodes it, and turns it into a stream of bits
- Compares the user input and flag bit by bit, and terminates once it is different
- Prints the time taken for comparison, plus the number of bits that matched.
- Oops forgot to mention, it also lets the user decide how many times to run the same comparison.
On first sight, we can tell that this is simply just a programming challenge to do a timing attack. Except that since everyone in the competition is hitting the server it is more accurate to use the score than to use the time taken.
Simply write a script to try strings that start exactly the same but one ending with bit 0 and one ending with bit 1.
You can find our script here.